The term “detox” has become a trendy buzzword over the last few years and it has created a lot of confusion about what healthy detoxification really means. It’s actually quite simple. Detoxification refers to the processing and removal of waste from the body and doing a “detox” is a way of improving those mechanisms of elimination.
The organs involved in detoxification and waste removal are the colon, liver, skin, lungs, kidneys, and lymphatics. Most commercial detox supplements will target one or more of these organ systems. But if you want to venture into trying one, you have to be careful about the ingredients as well as some of the dietary restrictions–for example, fasting is not appropriate for everyone! So I highly recommend speaking to a naturopathic doctor about which detox (if any) is right for you. In my experience, certain symptoms like headaches, eczema, muscle aches, digestive issues, joint inflammation, fatigue, can possibly indicate the need for a detox program. So in my practice, I customize a program for my patients that is safe and focuses on the necessary organ systems.
Does everyone need to do a detox program? Not necessarily. If you live a healthy lifestyle, maintain good weight, exercise (and sweat, because the skin is a detox organ!), eat fresh and chemical-free foods, drink lots of water, have regular bowel movements, and keep stress levels low, you are already incorporating easy ways of helping your detox organs on a daily basis.
Here are some key tips on how you can incorporate daily detox into your lifestyle:
1. Drink plenty of water. For most people that is between 1.5-2 litres per day. This does not include other fluids–your body needs pure H2O!
2. Eat lots of veggies. Beets full of nutrients as well as the green leafies like kale, swiss chard, mustard greens, broccoli, brussel sprouts. Juice these veggies if you have a juicer.
3. Dry skin brushing everyday before your shower. Using a body brush or loofah with a long handle, gently brush your skin in long strokes, working from the extremities and moving toward the heart. This helps remove dead skin, and also to improve lymphatic circulation.
4. Exercise daily – you must sweat! Sweating is a way for the body to remove waste, just like going to the washroom.
5. Make sure you are going to the washroom regularly. Bowel movements should be 1-2X daily!
6. Deep breathing. Exhaling is a way for our lungs to eliminate waste. Focus on both inhalation to get enough oxygen to your tissues, and the exhalation to eliminate CO2 from your tissues.
Interested in doing our 10-Day Clear Change Detox? We have them now in stock. Come in and fill out a Detox Questionnaire and talk to our Richmond Hill Naturopath, Dr. Misa, to see if a detox is right for you!