Dr. Misa Kawasaki, BSc, ND
Fertility treatment is quickly becoming one of the most important and pressing aspects of womens’ health today, and therefore it is a large percentage of my practice at Meridian Wellness in Richmond Hill/Oak Ridges.
In this high-demand-fast-paced society, women are choosing to have children later in life often well into their 30s and 40s. It also doesn’t help that more than ever, factors such as stress and environmental influences are increasingly playing a negative role in conception. Therefore, many couples are turning to assisted reproductive technology (ART) procedures such as IUI and IVF which are very expensive and only offer a success rate of 30-45%.
Imagine how much better your chances of conceiving would be if you focused only on optimizing your overall health for 3 months prior to these procedures at a fertility clinic?
Natural Approaches to Fertility
Whether you are just starting to think about starting a family, or you have already been through multiple IVF procedures, naturopathic medicine can improve your reproductive health and your chances of having a strong, healthy baby. After meeting with you for an initial 90 minute consultation, I will develop a naturopathic fertility program that is customized just for you which will include the following:
- Investigate Health Issues: Conditions such as PCOS, fibroids, endometriosis, irregular/absent periods, recurrent miscarriages that may be obstacles to pregnancy will be addressed.
- Detoxification: Removing accumulated toxins from your body before trying to conceive is important so that they arent passed on to your newborn. A detox will support all of your body’s elimination organs like the liver, skin, lungs, kidneys and colon. Heavy metal testing may also be indicated. There are many different types of detox programs, and I will recommend one best suited for you.
- Optimize Nutrition: I will complete a thorough analysis of your current diet, including iron, folic acid and Vitamin B12 and make recommendations to improve your nutritional state. Diet plays an essential role from pre-conception to pregnancy to lactation.
- Stress Management and Lifestyle Choices: Stress is an unavoidable fact of life. What is important in fertility is your ability to deal with that stress. Overworking, feeling so tired but wired that you cant sleep, constant mind-busyness, conflicts at home or work, financial burdens, shift work, these can all be obstacles to starting a family. Your treatment will include techniques to teach your body to relax, gain better sleep and achieve a more balanced lifestyle. Learn to manage your stress, don’t let stress manage you.
- Acupuncture & Chinese Herbs: Chinese medicine has traditionally been used in fertility to stimulate the function of the ovaries to produce better eggs, to regulate the menstrual cycle, increase blood flow to the uterine lining, promoting relaxation and improving sleep. Weekly acupuncture and Chinese herbs depending on the time of the menstrual cycle are required for optimal results.
- Menstrual Cycle Tracking & Fertility Awareness: I will educate you on understanding your menstrual cycle and signs of fertility using tools such as urinary ovulation indicators, basal body temperature and cervical mucous monitoring.
To book an initial consultation with Dr. Misa, click here.
Our office is in Oak Ridges, just a short drive from Richmond Hill, Aurora, King City, Newmarket, Markham and surrounding areas.